Choice-Centered Care Workshop at 2023 IAABC Conference
Where: Friends For Life Shelter
When: May 4th, 2023, 1:30 pm – 6:30 pm (Central)
Continued Education: 5 CEUs pending (CCPDT, IAABC, KPA)
After attending this workshop, participants will have the tools to:
- Implement novel and accessible ways of adding choice and agency to the lives of shelter animals
- Identify animals who would benefit from a choice-centered, ritualized introduction to potential adopters
- Tailor ritualized introductions to meet the need of individual animals
- Demonstrate mechanical training skills that contribute to the success of ritualized introductions to novel humans
During the workshop, participants will learn about various ways that FFL applies choice to grow a sense of agency in their resident animals. These include some very simple, accessible practices requiring very little training and resources, as well as other, more ambitious processes like the Ritualized Introduction Protocol that helps FFL’s most fearful dogs and cats learn to opt-in to friendly encounters with new humans.
The program will conclude with a light evening meal with FFL Behavior Team members and an open discussion about modern sheltering practices and how participants can advocate for more choice for residents at local shelters.
Read more about our work in choice-centered care in the IAABC Foundation Journal:
- Another Way Out: Friends For Life’s Fraidy Cat Program
- Shelter Behavior and Medical Teams Find Success Through Synergy
👇 Be sure to select your offsite event ticket during registration! 👇